Home

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

When I was a kid

When I was a kid, gas was under a dollar per gallon.

It was always in the ninety cent range but it was still less than a dollar.  Other things that were a dollar or less: a dozen eggs, apples (even out of season), and movies from Redbox.  (Okay, Redbox wasn't around when I was a kid, but the movies were just $1 when Redbox started.)

The summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college I remember the price of gas increased drastically-it reached the $1.50/gallon range.  I distinctly remember thinking, "Man, gas is getting expensive.  I'll have to cut down on my visits home during the school year!"

Did I?  No.

In fact, I think I started driving MORE.

The summer I bought my car, gas prices reached $4 a gallon.  I took public transit to work for a while until I realized it was still cheaper for me to drive than to pay to ride the train.  Take that for what it's worth, UTA.

Yesterday I bought gas for $2.999 a gallon.  Sure, it rounds to $3 per gallon but I LOVED seeing the 2 in the dollar position.  It felt amazing to buy gas for "less" than $3 a gallon!  I wanted to shout my good fortune from the housetops.  And I wanted to share with Porter that when I was a kid we would have been shocked to pay more than $1 per gallon of gas.  Or at least more than $1.10 per gallon.

So now that I have declared my good fortune, maybe I'll take yesterdays savings and rent some movies from Redbox!





1 comment:

  1. Wait...it costs more than a dollar to rent a movie at redbox now?

    ReplyDelete